Before you visit Western Australia, read through our fast facts and travel tips including driving in WA, visas and getting around.
- Western Australia, Australia's largest state is 2,525,500 sq km, about the same size as Western Europe.
- The population is around 2 million. About 15 million live in the capital city, Perth.
- Perth enjoys a true Mediterranean climate with long hot summers, December - February and mild cool winters, June - August.
- Perth has incredibly blue skies and more hours of sunshine than any other Australian capital city - around 8 hours a day.
- Be sun smart - the Western Australian sun is very strong. To avoid sunburn, wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen, especially between 10am and 3pm.
- Perth is Australia's western gateway and a major hub for international air services from Asia, Africa, the Middle East, the United Kingdom and Europe.
- Domestic airlines operate daily services to Perth from the Eastern States. There are also regional services from Perth to many destinations within the state.
- Perth Airport is 20 km east of the city. Taxi's are available from both the domestic and international terminals and it is a 20-30 minute journey.
- Perth and Fremantle are serviced by an efficient public transport system as well as a free shuttle bus, the Central Area Transit - CAT. Fremantle is 20 km from Perth city or 20 minutes by car.
- Perth's beaches are some of the best in Australia and are just 15-20 minutes by car from the city.
All people, except Australian and New Zealand passport holders, require a visa to enter Australia. For information concerning different viasa available, contact your Australian consulate in your home country.
- Visitors to Western Australia may drive on a valid overseas driver's licence for the same class of vehicle.
- Vehicles travel on the left hand side of the road and the wearing of seat belts is compulsory for all passengers.
What's on in Perth
Plan your trip to Perth
See all accommodation, tours, attractions, food and drink and retail in Perth.
Love Your Perth
There's so many ways to enjoy Perth and only one place to find them all.