About the Perth Region Tourism Organisation
The Perth Region Tourism Organisation Inc. (PRTO), trading as Destination Perth, is the Perth region's peak destination marketing organisation responsible for promoting the city and surrounds as a desirable leisure destination.
PRTO is a not-for-profit marketing organisation managed by its CEO and staff and overseen by a skill-based Executive Board consisting of representatives from the tourism industry. It was established in 2004 to act as the primary body for the marketing of Perth and surrounds to domestic and international consumers, travel trade and media.
- Our vision is to establish the Perth region as a globally recognised must-visit tourist destination.
- Our mission is to increase visitor numbers, length of stay and visitor spending in the region.
- Our business objectives focus on building destination awareness within Australia and targeted international markets through a program of marketing initiatives that grow sustainable tourism for the region.
- To work with our members and industry partners to ensure all tourism related opportunities are best achieved for the region;
- To develop integrated co-operative marketing opportunities for our members and industry partners to encourage greater demand, yield and visitor dispersal; and
- To manage stakeholder contributions to achieve the maximum and most efficient marketing outcomes for the region.
Our Organisational Funding
Our organisational funding is sourced from three main areas:
- Payment under contract from Tourism Western Australia to market the region;
- Membership fees; and
- Revenue secured from co-operative marketing activities with our members and strategic partnerships with local councils, shires and other stakeholders contained within the region.
The Perth Region
As one of Western Australia’s five government funded, regional tourism organisations, we work both independently and in partnership with Tourism Australia, Tourism Western Australia, the tourism industry and key local stakeholders. We represent the Perth and Surrounds region consisting of six tourism precincts as follows:
- Perth City
- Fremantle and Rottnest Island
- Sunset Coast
- Peel and Rockingham
- Swan Valley and Darling Range
- Avon Valley
Our Role in Destination Marketing
PRTO is active across multiple distribution channels and has a dedicated team of marketing professionals who work on a program of strategic activities in domestic and key international markets.
Our hands-on approach and diverse marketing programs strengthen industry-bound business relationships, form key partnerships with trade and develop strong influential messages targeted direct to consumers.
Our marketing strategies include a schedule of brand and tactical advertising campaigns, integrated across various media platforms with a strong digital focus to target consumers who seek inspiration for travel online. Our social media activity creates destination awareness and engagement and is also an important channel in our marketing strategy.
Marketing Strategies and Partnerships
The State Government Strategy for Tourism in Western Australia has established a target to double the value of tourism expenditure from $6 billion in 2010 to $12 billion by 2020. To complement this target, the Perth visitor economy must grow to 22 million visitors per annum, creating:
- $3.1 billion per annum in international export earnings;
- $7.1 billion per annum in total visitor expenditure; and
- 47,000 jobs in Perth
PRTO is proposing a joint government-industry program to promote the destination of Perth to the Australian and international travelling market. Learn more about the proposition.
Membership with PRTO
We represent a membership base of more than 500 tourism operators including accommodation and entertainment venues, attractions, transport providers, tour and cruise operators plus restaurants located across the region. Get comprehensive information on our Accommodation, Attraction, Tour, Food and Drink, Retail, Hire and Service operators and learn about our community of members.
Membership with our organisation is a mutually beneficial relationship and suits all businesses that are stakeholders of Perth's tourism industry. As a member, your support helps us to promote the destination worldwide building a stronger visitor economy for Perth and surrounds and ultimately driving visitors to your door.
Any entity that owns a tourism business or a tourism service within the Perth and surrounds region is eligible to become a member of PRTO. Click here to fiind out more about membership with the PRTO.